What is Life and Career Coaching?

Some who read my articles and blogs will ask me what it is I do besides write blogs and articles. When I share, “I’m a Career and Life Coach,” a few will comment, “that’s nice; good article.”

If you haven’t used a coach, you may have some questions about how coaching works and what benefits you can expect so I’ll provide an overview.

Coaching is an ongoing professional relationship that can help you to produce extraordinary results in your life, career and/or business.  It is not counseling or therapy; it is forward looking and is about achieving positive results. 

“Life coaching makes a significant difference in one’s overall life satisfaction.  The coaching experience helped clients be more effective by teaching them how to set concrete, measurable goals made up of specific and manageable steps…”  Master’s Thesis, Pepperdine University

How did I get in to Coaching?

I enjoyed more than 30 years in Human Resources (HR) or “Personnel.”  As I reached the latter stages of that career I sought out a Life and Career Coach myself to explore my next vocational pursuit. As an HR Executive I was finding that my time was increasingly spent advising others about their own careers and decisions.  After contemplations with my coach a transition to coaching appeared a natural fit for my knowledge, skills, and abilities.  

In 2015 I went back to school and became a Certified Professional Coach.

There are many benefits to be had from engaging in coaching:

Clarity

Knowing what you want can be half the battle in life.  On an on-going basis, coaching will help you to get and stay clear about your goals and the direction you would like to head in.

“Coaching has a 570% ROI.” Manchester Inc.

Accountability

Accountability is a powerful tool for creating change. When engaged in the life coaching process, you work with your coach to create goals to achieve between sessions.  Coaching is very much a joint journey; coaches don’t give advice or tell you what to do; instead they work with you to create goals that will be realistic and achievable and most importantly, inspiring to you. The goals are the client’s. The simple act of telling someone else what they intend to do can make a huge difference in the desire to achieve it. If someone finds they are putting something off week after week, it is much more obvious in the coaching scenario and gets dealt with promptly. 

Unbiased Input

Friends and family can be a great source of support, but unbiased input can often help clients to see things differently.  We often hear things better from an outsider, than from people too close to the situation. Though your best friend may always remind you of your strengths, hearing the same message from someone outside of your situation can be of even greater help.

The Opportunity To Focus On You
Coaching is an opportunity to focus on a client’s dreams and aspirations. It’s a sacred time.  In day to day life, being busy with family, friends, work and hobbies often means that your bigger wants get left to the side.  Coaching can be truly life changing and can enable you to carve the space in your life for your goals and what is important to you.

“Seek first to understand, then to be understood.”  Stephen Covey

Personal Development

Coaching can be challenging and hard work, though also rewarding and fun. You will be looking at yourself honestly and challenging yourself to push beyond your comfort zones. Coaching will enhance personal development and assists in taking the various areas of life to the next level. 

The Seed Sower

Comments

  1. And I thought you were a bicycling coach! No, sounds like you found your ideal profession; congratulations Kirk!
    Jon B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon: Thanks for reading and checking in. I guess I'll claim a certain level of victory in that back in the day I was able to teach both of my kids how to ride. Best. Kirk

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    Thank you for post this blog and it seems good information, which can helps more and to get better solution.
    Nice post!

    Lifestyle change coach in brimingham

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons for Living the Dream; Cycling Across Georgia

Effective Followership